Thursday, April 12, 2018

Whole yellow lentil curry


When I invite someone who is vegetarian, I always cook Indian vegetarian dishes. Indians have plenty of vegetarian dishes, so I don’t need to think about any other cuisine. On the top of that all of my friends love Indian vegetarian meals. So, when I invited one of such family who love Indian vegetarian dishes, I decided to cook whole yellow lentil soup with other dishes. Whole yellow lentil is full of protein, and when you cook in Indian style it tastes heavenly. I wanted cook a little different rather in my usual way. I got a good recipe from a blog . I just changed a little, to match the things which are available in my kitchen. 


Here is the recipe:
One cup dry whole yellow lentil
One medium sized tomato
One medium sized onion
One tbsp. ginger paste
Two-Three cloves of garlic
Three-four green cardamom
One bay leaf
One tsp cayenne powder
One tsp chili flakes
One dry red chili
One tbsp. of sugar
One tsp. garam masala powder
One tsp cumin powder
One tbsp oil
One tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
Pinch asafetida
Pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste


Wash and soak the lentil overnight. Pressure cook  the lentil about fifteen to twenty minutes. Finely chip the onion, and garlic. Make a fine paste of the tomato. Heat oil in a pan in medium. Add cardamom, cloves, dry red chili, and bay leaf. As soon as you get the fine aroma, add ginger paste. As ginger paste start splutters , add onion, and garlic. Fry until onion turn slightly brown, stirring continuously. Add garam masala powder,  cayenne powder, half tsp cumin powder and mix well. Then add tomato puree. Mix well, and cook covering the pan. You need to stir occasionally to avoid burning at the bottom. When the oil starts oozing out, add the cooked lentil. Add salt, sugar,turmeric powder, and one cup of water. Cook until the soup reaches desired consistency. Switch off the stove. Take another smaller pan, heat one tbsp of ghee, add other half tsp cumin powder, asafetida, chili flakes. Stir slightly, and immediately add in the soup. Mix well.Serve hot with rice or roti (Indian flat bread).


Serving size: 5

8 comments:

rita said...

Wow dear,
Great food.

Have a good day

RaeAbigael said...

ooh that looks so delish and so healthy! =)

xoxo, rae
http://www.raellarina.net

Anonymous said...

It looks very delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Thank you for your kind comment on my post about Miss Martha's flowers.
Have a good night.

Nancy Chan said...

The curry looks good! This is same as mung beans? We usually cook mung beans as sweet soup.

Elena M said...

Que rico! Gracias por una nueva receta!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving such a kind comment on my post about my nephew and thanks for your prayers.....
Hugs,
Deb

shwet said...

Its very healthy!! and looks so delicious.
My Blog | Instagram | Bloglovin

Pixel Peeper said...

I love lentils, and I love curry so this looks absolutely delicious!

Post a Comment