Sunday, June 22, 2014

Chicken stuffed potato fritters

The other day both my husband and I were craving for something spicy, and lip smacking snacks. However neither there was any ready-to-eat food  available in my kitchen, nor I had anything which I could cook.  We were watching TV, but I was thinking what I could cook for afternoon snacks. I was just staring to the TV, and I saw one advertisement of ready-to-eat “Aloo tikki”. 



“Aloo tikki” is a very popular Indian snacks made of potato with vegetable stuffing. At that very moment I decided to make Aloo tikki, but I had no such vegetables in fridge to make the stuffing. Moreover, my strictly non-vegetarian husband doesn’t like any vegetable stuffing. Though I decided to make Aloo tikki, I had no idea what to put inside the tikki. I opened my refrigerator, and stood with a blank mind for few moments. Then I started looking one after another bowl of cooked food, in search of stuffing. Then I found the exact stuffing what  I was looking for, the ground turkey curry. Yes, in the morning I cooked the ground turkey, just to have in dinner with roti. The ground turkey served as an awesome stuffing. 

Here is the recipe:
4 medium sized potato
Salt to taste
Oil spray or one tbsp. of oil
For stuffing: (Here I’m giving the recipe of stuffing of 1 lb. of turkey, as I cooked that. You can adjust the measurement according to the amount of ground chicken or ground turkey. I think you need one and a half cup of ground chicken)
1lb of ground turkey
One cup chopped vegetable ( carrot, corn,beans, and green peas. You can use one cup frozen chopped vegetables or you can cut fresh vegetables)
One small onion
One tbsp. ginger paste
One tsp. garlic paste
Half tsp. of coriander powder
One tsp. of cumin powder
Half tsp. of garam mashala powder (you can get any Indian grocery store)
Pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Two tbsp. of oil

The stuffing:
Wash throughly the ground chicken,and put it on a large strainer to drain the excess water. Take a big bowl. Mix ground chicken, salt, ginger paste, and garlic paste in the bowl. Keep it for half an hour. Finely chop the onion. If you are using fresh vegetable, finely chop carrot , and beans. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed wok in medium heat. Add chopped onion, and chopped vegetables into the oil. Stir occasionally until the onion becomes soft. Add the chicken and stir for few minutes. Cover the wok, and let it cook. After 5 minutes add all the powdered spices, and pinch of salt. Thoroughly mix the spices with chicken with the help of a spatula. Cover the wok and let the chicken cook . After sometime check the chicken whether fully cooked or not. If the chicken is fully cooked, then increase the heat to dry the curry. Stir continuously to avoid scorching at the bottom. Once the stuffing is done, keep it aside and let it cool down. Meanwhile cut the potatoes into halves. 
Take a sauce pan, and pour  water into it to cover the potato halves. Boil the potatoes until soft. Let it cool down. Peel the potatoes, and smash using your hand. Add a pinch of salt and make smooth dough. Divide the dough into small golf sized balls. Poke in the middle of the balls. Then by the side of the hole just press the balls to give a shape of a bowl. Put small amount of the stuffing into it and close it. Slightly press down to give the shape of the tikkis. Take a frying pan, and spray oil all over the pan. Arrange the tikkis on the pan , And put the frying on medium heat just to roast the both sides of the tikkis. If you want to do the same thing in oven, then take a oven proof pan. cover the pan with an aluminum foil. Spray oil all over it. Arrange the tikkis on it and bake until two sides are slightly brown.
Serve the tikkis with spiced tea or coffee.


4 comments:

Chandrani said...

Perfect will try. ;-)

Rajesh said...

Wonderful. I like it.

Amelia said...

Hi Krishna, this fritter look very inviting and delicious. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe, I wish I can have some right now. :))

Have a nice week ahead,regards.

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Krishna, This recipe looks so good! Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Jody

Post a Comment