Thursday, February 15, 2018

Collecting Pictures - A Childhood Hobby

Reaching in the middle age of life, when so many memories of childhood surge in the mind, I just want to say only three words, “Good old days”. I grew up in a very simple middle class family with little things to indulge. So, I always try to find out some pleasures in the existing things I had. Two things I used to get in abundance was diary, and beautiful calendars in the beginning of the years. 

The pictures of calendars. The young mind used to imagine a lot staring to those pictures.



It is still with me. I don't know from where it came from. Most probably my sister colored it, when she was little.
These are pictures from a flyer of a painting company. I used to adore those pictures, longed for those kind of beautiful rooms.

We sisters always waited eagerly specially in the evenings of December and January to our dad’s coming home from office. Everyday we tried to find whether he was bringing any such new treasures. Beautiful pictures in the calendars always delighted me, as they were going to in my collection at the end of the year. 

A young artist. I don't know when I copied this picture. It was my favorite pastime in good old days


Anyway, collecting pictures all started when I was in grade three. I totally forgot how it was started until when one of my  school friends with whom I started the hobby reminded me few months back. One day she told me that in grade three I gifted her diary. I really couldn’t recollect that, that I gifted an old useless diary,and in return she gave me some photograph, of some unknown children.

This is the very first picture, my friend gifted to me. It was in very good condition, but in time it has lost the luster.

 That too were the pictures of either European or American children. At that time the USA was an unreachable destination to us, which only could come in dream. So, we used to enjoy any pictures from those countries , specially winter pictures. It was mid eighties, and the communication was not that much strong, and there was neither Internet, nor uncountable T.V channels, nor social media. Even telephone calls were expensive. We used to wait for letters from near and dear ones. If anyone received a picture postcard from west he/she felt on the moon. So, our knowledge about the outer world was limited. Only way to know was our textbooks, and children magazines. That’s why, those two pictures were very precious to me.

That very friend gave these pictures also.

These pictures were also given by same friend. These are actually pictures medieval age Indian Paintings. When she gave those picture they were already old and fragile. Now the condition is worse, I don't know how I can preserve them.


Typically I used to keep all those pictures, and “precious” things in the drawers of my table. I could never imagine to throw away those “precious” things, even in my college days. So, my mom gave me huge carton box, and asked me to put all the treasures in side, and tape it. That box was had been sitting in one room in my mom’s house for decades. This time when I went home, my mom literally requested me to do something with the box, as the box was really aging, and couldn’t hold up those treasures, means it was in a very bad shape. I opened the box, there came out huge collections of calendars, pictures, letters from friends, paintings from friends, and so on. 

I don't know who gifted it to me, as she didn't write the name.


I took a pretty good time to find out the things which would keep with me. 
After throwing away, many of the things, I kept the most precious ones with me, and have brought them back all the way here with me. 

This letter was written to me by one of my adorable friends. If she reads my she will understand it. Can you see the date? Yes, I've kept it. I have preserved almost all the letters written by my childhood friends. 

35 comments:

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Dear Krishna
A wonderful post, great photos and drawings.
Happy weekend.
Lucja

Gosia said...

great memories and letters

Sarah said...

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog today. I enjoyed this post, as I could relate. When I was growing up I loved to collect post cards, calendars, stationary and anything that I thought was pretty. I enjoyed corresponding with pen pals, and still have some of their old letter (with dates from the '90's!). May you have a blessed day!

Visits With Mary said...

Great post, I love remembering 'the good old days!' Seems life was so much easier then, or maybe I was just too young to concern myself with anything but good times!

Anna said...

Lovely collection !!!!!
Thanks for your visit !
Have a nice evening !
Anna

JoJo said...

I love to save stuff like that too. I would just tape or paste them into scrapbooks so I have dozens of them going back to when I was about 13.

La Table De Nana said...

♥ heartfelt beautiful post..Don't throw what you have kept away..I regret things I parted with.

Margaret D said...

How lovely to have those pictures and great memories of the good old days :)

Prims By The Water said...

What an awesome collection of letters and pictures! How fun it must have been to peruse through your Good Old Days box. Its like opening a time capsule. Hope you are having a great week! Janice

Lisa said...

What a beautiful post!! I think I've saved every letter and card from friends, too!! I have no idea where the boxes are in the basement, but they are there for me to find one day like a treasure :) Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Mac n' Janet said...

Childhood memories are precious. I loved coloring books that had the States and foreign countries. Thank you for your thoughtful message Krishna I can use a load of support in this difficult time.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

How wonderful your mother saved these precious memories for you, Krishna. Maybe you can scan some of your favorites that you think are fragile so they won't be lost forever. ♥

Billie Jo said...

Hello!!
I am so happy to meet you here!
Thank you for your visit.
Such a lovely post today...
I have saved all the calendars I had as a child and teenager.
It is fun to look back and remember.
Have a cozy evening.

Annie's Journal said...

That's a very precious collection and memories you have there - Krishna!

mamasmercantile said...

What a lovely collection, some of the pictures were such pretty scenes, sparking lots of lovely memories for you I am sure. Have a wonderful weekend.

Elena M said...

Thanks for the beautiful post! Have a nice day)

shwet said...

Interesting!!! Very true,those our childhood days were Good old days.
https://clickbystyle.blogspot.in/

Unknown said...

Great post. :)
Maybe follow for follow. ?
http://goldeeenboy.blogspot.ba/

Irreplaceable_fashion said...

wow amazing pictures, I love them!
kisses:*

Rajashree said...

Thanks Krishna to you and Sweet Kakima for keeping all the memories still alive. I have read the lines again and again remembering our good old time. Thanks for preserving the letter, appreciate your effort, emotional approach to put your emotions in words. God bless and as I said, continue writing, you're such a talent!!

Nancy Chan said...

You have many lovely memories from your childhood day!

Sakuranko said...

Oh very cute drawings
xx

amely rose said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful impressions and memories with us.
I love the letter. Such a great memories from your childhood.

take a look at my BLOG and also INSTAGRAM

Magic Love Crow said...

Truly a beautiful post! Thankyou for sharing these memories! I really loved this post! Big Hugs!

baili said...

what a TREASURE my friend !!!

different stages of age that we pass through seem like different shads and colour of our life

many of us like to collect and keep our previous parts of "being" with us forever .

i loved your whole collection of pictures .this is first visit so i don't know that you paint so the one piece of art that you copied (i think girl with water bucket) is really impressive one !

Margie said...

What a neat collection. I also like to save pretty pictures from calendars, as well as cards. Sometimes I even frame the pretty cards that I've received. Thanks for the visit!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Krishna,
It is good for holding on to such treasures as it has influenced and shaped you into the person you are now.
I too have kept almost all things from long time ago as the written things mean so much.
Why did you not scan those old things an than you can trash it all. It is a neat way for keeping it and without any clutter.
You saved things from the West and I love the East... My Great-uncle a Priest was in Indonesia on the island of Timor, Kupang. He also went to Formosa and to the Philippines and I saved the stamps from his letters and studied them with a magnifier and was dreaming about all the exotic fruits and trees. Little did I know that one day I would work and live there for 3 years and work even for more years as a a consultant. Also working in India as a consultant and I sure love those memories. All the stories from lessons at school about the trade and the spices, the silks... it became reality to me.
Still need to scan some 6 scrapbooks and make it all digital and sorting out lots and lots of old letters and scan them too. Old paper gets so musty smelling and I don't like that.
Diaries I also have several, old ones and some nice leather ones but I quite writing them after 2004.
Sending you hugs,
Mariette

Betsy said...

A wonderful post! Those were the days, I still feel they were the best. I loved getting mail , seeing and feeling the person who wrote it in their hand. Today not like that. I enjoyed the snapshots and the drawings. Happy Sunday
Betsy

FABBY'S LIVING said...

You brought me to mind so many memories of pictures I used to save and cut and stick onto a scrapbook, I guess it was something we did in those bygone days.
I used to save interior decoration pictures from magazines that I loved and wanted to do eventually.
Loved your post. Thanks for sharing.
Have a lovely week ahead.
Fabby

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is great to have all these treasures and memories of your childhood. Wonderful pictures. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week!

Kathy Leonia said...

so lovely pictures:)

DIMI said...

Great post!
Thank you for sharing your memories!
Have a lovely week!
Dimi...

Rafaela Biscassi said...

Great pictures.
Good week.

www.paginasempreto.blogspot.com.br

Reckless diary by Anya Dryagina said...

What a wonderful photos! And it's really interesting post!
www.recklessdiary.ru

Greg said...

Nice collections! I really love it :)

Post a Comment