Monday, May 14, 2018

A busy Sunday, and a Birthday

It was a busy crazy weekend ever. Saturday was busy as kiddo had swimming in the morning, then he had a birthday party in the afternoon. Then I had a piles of jobs to be finished in the evening. Actually , Sunday was Mr. Man’s birthday. As it was Sunday I decided to celebrate in our traditional way. In weekdays it is not possible to celebrate in an elaborate way other a small cake cutting, and a dinner. 

Two handmade cards, one from me, another from kiddo


No, I didn’t give a party. Actually both of us love to celebrate the birthdays, specially his and mine strictly within family. We only give party for our son, as he is still little and loves to celebrate with his friends. 
Anyway, when I’m talking about traditional way, before telling you what I did, I want to explain a little about it. In any family occasion like birthdays, the lunch is a very important affair. We usually cook five kind fried vegetable, lentil soup, one vegetable curry, chicken/goat meat/fish (at least one non vegetarian item, we usually prefer fish and goat meat), one sweet pickle , and numerous sweet dishes. This is the type of lunch is served not only on birthdays, but also on bridal shower, when a newborn  first time eats rice, and many more.  Though I’m telling it bridal shower , but same occasion takes place on the bridegroom’s side. Actually, it is called as the last lunch as a bachelor.

Breakfast with stuffed fried Indian bread (Luchi), Potato Curry (Dum-Aloo), pudding, a typical breakfast of any celebration.


In the celebration of first time rice eating of the newborn (around the age of 6 months) we arrange the same way for the newborn which I’ve mentioned already. But it is ridiculous, that a newborn will eat that much. So, the tradition is all the food is touched on the lips of the little one, and then mom’s brother will eat all delicious food. If the mom has more than one brothers, then either the oldest, or the youngest will eat. Isn’t that funny? It is really a fun event indeed, just like the bridal shower. To us all those celebrations are fun event.


Before the British came to India, we had a very different way to eat. At that time people sat on the ground on small individual carpets, call “aason", made out of burlap, and kept the dish before them on the ground. The tradition was that the male members of the family ate first, then the female members of the family would eat. Not a good tradition huh? Those nicely embroidered small carpets were made by the female members of the family, and that was a way to flaunt their embroidery  skills. Actually, India is very diverse country, every region has their own tradition, and it is the tradition of Bengal. When I’m talking about tradition, one more thing I should to mention. Our traditional crockeries are made out of brass. In old days people used to eat and drink in brass utensils. Then we have changed to steel utensils. Currently people eat in either steel or porcelains, and brass utensils are used for all these auspicious occasions.
Here, I don’t have any brass utensils, so I used porcelain, and bone-china. 

Lunch


Anyway, for Sunday celebration, I started preparing Saturday evening. I cut all the vegetables. I prepared the prawns, marinated the chickens. I started cooking since morning on Sunday. Within 12 in the afternoon I finished all cooking including dinner, and the cake. Suddenly, Mr. Man decided to go to a movie. And the show was 2:30 in the afternoon. So, I had a very little time in my hand. Still, I managed to do all the tradition I wanted to do. With fried five different types of vegetables, one of his favorite vegetable dish, prawn curry, chicken curry, sweet pickle, I arranged the plate and the bowls, and let him sit on a traditional small carpet. That small carpet is very dear to me, as it was made by my mom, when she was a young lady. I think the carpet is more than 50 years old. Though that worn out , and became very fragile, but I want to keep it. May be in future I’ll frame it. 

"Aason", small carpet, made by mom years ago


Anyway, we managed to reach the movie on time. After coming back he cut the homemade chocolate cake. We finished the dinner with his favorite mutton-biryani. 

Mutton biryani



25 comments:

Kathy Leonia said...

omom i looked at those meals and i am hungry ;p

Miguel Gouveia said...

Thanks a lot :D

hmm, seems to be an amazing day, my friend :D
I wish you all the best

NEW COOKING POST | EGGPLANT STUFFED WITH MUSHROOMS AND SWEET POTATO CHIPS :O
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

white and vintage said...

You had a busy week. We celebrate all birthdays on Sunday with the whole family.Your food looks very delicious!
Have a nice week!

Rafaela Biscassi said...

Great post dear.

www.paginasempreto.blogspot.com.br

Anonymous said...

Hello, How very interesting to read about your birthday lunch. The rug made by your mom is precious. I know you treasure it very much. That was a lot of prep work for you with cooking birthday dinner. I know it was delicious and I'm happy you made the movie and enjoyed cake later. All the best to you.

RaeAbigael said...

Happy birthday to him! The food looks delish and i'm glad you and your family had a wonderful time on that special day ;)

xoxo, rae
http://www.raellarina.net

INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Kathy Leonia said...

have a good day:)

Miguel Gouveia said...

Thanks a lot :D

have an amazing day my friend :D

NEW TIPS POST | ONLINE VERSION: 3 BASIC TIPS TO SET THE FOUNDATION TONE :O
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

Anonymous said...

Yummy dishes to enjoy on birthday. We too celebrate birthdays within family members...

Reckless diary by Anya Dryagina said...

Amazing post dear!
Have a wonderful day!
www.recklessdiary.ru

Sakuranko said...

Oh the food looks amazing!
xx

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Krishna, you really make it all out to be such a special occasion. The food looks and sounds so good. Happy Birthday to the Mr. and he must be so proud of all you do..Happy Wednesday..Judy and thanks for your visit.

rita said...

Hello my dear,

thank you for sharing :)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks, Krishna, for your visit. It is a very exciting happening and I can hardly believe it..Have a wonderful weekend..Judy

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the food and cook look yummy. happy Birthday to the Mr. Enjoy your day and week ahead.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh I love the special menu for the birthday and your tradition for the still single young man. Thanks for sharing my friend.
Hugs to you and blessings.
Fabby

Miguel Gouveia said...

Thanks a lot :D

have an amazing friday :D

NEW OUTFIT POST | A DIFFERENT THURSDAY <3
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

Carolina G. Ticala said...

estupendo post!feliz fin de semana!💚💚💚

Julie said...

The food you cooked looks amazing Krishna. Your Mothers carpet is wonderful & such a treasure for you to have.

DIMI said...

Hello dear Krishna! Happy birthday to him!!
Your food looks so delicious and i like your mother’s carpet! So preety!!
Have a fabulous weekend! Hugs!
Dimi...

shwet said...

Wow!!! lots of delicious food. Belated happy Birthday to your hubby. Yea..we have to give party for our kids birthday. and ours birthday's are generally like this. Its fun.
My Blog | Instagram | Bloglovin

Nancy Chan said...

Happy birthday to Mr. Man! What a delicious and happy celebration for Mr. Man!

Home Chic Club said...

Looks so nice Krishna! Happy birthday to your hubby! xoxo
Vesna - Home Chic Club

A Casa Madeira said...


Only delicious foods.
Good week.

Magic Love Crow said...

Happy Birthday to your man! Such amazing food!
Thanks for explaining, how it "used" to be!
I love the small carpet your mom made so many years ago!
Krishna, I am sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't getting your posts!! I hope they start coming up now!
Big Hugs!

Post a Comment