Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Next stop, Hartford


Happy New Year!

I'm trying to come back after crazy December. I yet to catch up. As kiddo yet to go back school, I cannot not come to my 'normal' routine. 
I yet to finish the travel story of my last year's road trip. I wrote up to our Yankee Candle trip. Again, I'm resuming the last parts of our trip. 



After visiting Yankee Candle village we drove directly to Hartford. We included Hartford in our road trip for some reason.The city Hartford is very near to Mr. Man’s heart. This is the city where he lived when thirteen years back he landed for the very first time in this country. That was a stormy night in the month of January in Chicago. He landed there only to know that all the flights were cancelled to Connecticut.


However, he had to report at the office next morning. He came out from the  airport, and asked a cab to take him to Connecticut, as he had no idea how far Hartford was from Chicago.Cab driver couldn't understand what him, and  and came inside the airport again. After negotiating for a long time one front desk clerk managed get him a place in a small cargo plane, which was traveling to Boston. One of his co-worker came all the way from Hartford to Boston to pick him up. 


They reached Hartford in the wee hour of morning. After 2 hours of sleep he went to office, and on very first day he had to work whole night. I can imagine this vividly with my closed eyes, as he depicted the total incident many times to me. 


So, when he wanted to include the visit of Hartford in our road trip, I didn’t say no. I also wanted to see the place where he lived.
Anyway, from the very first view of the city I felt that at one time the city was at its best. The city was full of beautiful buildings and beautiful churches, However, somehow, it looked like a city which lost its glory. The beautiful buildings looked sad. May it was a weekend and as most of building had been converted into office buildings the city was looking deserted. 


However, once this prosperous city was inhabited by many renowned intellectuals, novelists, politicians, and one of them was Mark Twain. Now Mark Twain house is converted into a museum. We also visited there. 

My visit to Mark Twain house is coming in next post.




33 comments:

Margaret D said...

Sound rather daunting for your husband when we first arrived and it's interesting to read for me.
Mark Twain - will be interested to read about him.

Miguel Gouveia said...

Thanks a lot :D

pretty place my friend :D

NEW OUTFIT POST | WELCOME TO TEXAS.
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

camdandusler said...

That is very yummy!! thanks for visitng my blog. I'm following you. Please follow me back.
https://camdandusler.blogspot.com

Mirtillo14 said...

Continua il viaggio !! Bei posti, peccato che ora siano un pò abbandonati. Saluti.

Luana said...

seems to be a nice place!
I didn't know about the house of Mark Twain! must be interesting! :D

xoxo
Guria do Século Passado

Nancy Chan said...

Impressive buildings.

Miss Val's Creations said...

My husband and I drove through Hartford multiple times going back and forth between Massachusetts and South Carolina. We never stopped though so this is a good read. It is sad when you see a city that was once vibrant being neglected. As a New Englander for the first 40+ years of my life I loved seeing your posts to NH and VT. A beautiful part of the country.

Beauty Unearthly said...

Excellent post (as always)!Thank you very much :)

Pink Rose said...

Hi Krishna what lovely pics of your visit,i am also your newest follower and i hope you will visit and follow me too.
How wonderful to be able to visit Mark Twain's house,thankyou for sharing xx

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Krishna,
About the Mark Twain House & Museum was new to me. Interesting as he was born in Florida, Missouri.
What an ordeal your husband lived through!
An event to never ever being forgotten... Sure he was young at the time and lived through that horror day, full of stress.
Did you read my comment on your Etsy page? Left you some screenshots there as well.
It is about your blog's feed that is no longer working. It does not show up at all, I've tried to re-add it several times.
Hugs,
Mariette

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

It's lovely to see a post from you, Krishna. I'll try to catch up on your travels. ♥

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Glad you got to visit Hartford and a good story you shared about your husband's first time being there. Glad somebody helped him out! Nice old stone church. Happy New Year!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Beautiful photos and interesting story!! looking forward to seeing Mark Twain's home!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Jeanie said...

This is so interesting. I'll really look forward to your post on Mark Twain!

Annie's Journal said...

Wonderful to read your blog post once again:) It must have been daunting for your husband's first year in a foreign land, but glad everything worked out well for him and now for your family too. Wishing you and your family a good year 2019 too!

Kathy Leonia said...

have a good day:)

Miguel Gouveia said...

thanks dear :)

great pictures!

NEW WISHLIST POST | HELLO SALES.
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

Adenina Viola said...

Very nice photos. Happy new year :)

My Tester ManiaFacebook pageTwitter

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks, Krishna, for sharing your hubby's story. How strange things must have been for him then. Glad you got to see where it all took place..Happy Thursday..Judy and thanks for your visit.

Kinga K. said...

pretty,have fun <3

JoJo said...

A lot of the cities in New England are like that now. Once prosperous but now really run down. I've only been in the Hartford area on the highway. It's the insurance capital of the country I think.

shwet said...

Seems wonderful place!! i am sure you had great time.
My Blog | Instagram | Bloglovin

Miguel Gouveia said...

Thanks a lot :D

have a nice weekend my dear

NEW REVIEW POST | MY FAVORITE FACE CLEANERS.
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Goodness, that must have been a crazy experience for your husband! How wonderful that you both could go back to this city and see it again. It sounds like a beautiful old city full of interesting places to visit, and I will be interested to read about your visit to Mark Twain's home. Blessings :)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hello dear Krishna ! Hope your new year is already getting you back to normal, as you say, after crazy December !
I love the Mark Twain house, never heard about this home at all. What an interesting trip and visit you had.
Thank you for popping in to see me.
Have a terrific year.
Fabby

Pilar said...

The house of Mark Twain seems like it would interesting! Have a great weekend Krishna!

Maria Rodrigues said...

Great trip, wonderful photos.
Thanks for your visit.
Have a nice weekend
Hugs and all the best.
Maria
Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

NanaDiana said...

That is quite a story about your hubby's experience. I am glad you went there for a visit. We got stuck in Harford when I was traveling with the girls and it was NOT a very good experience. Have a great, blessed Sunday. xo Diana

Cynthia said...

Your husband’s story of his arrival in the U.S. was very interesting. I’m glad he did not have to take a cab from Chicago to Hartford! Nice you could visit Hartford on your trip and see where his life in America started.

Magic Love Crow said...

These posts are amazing! Thank you! Thank you for sharing some of your family's history too! Big Hugs!

Carolina G. Ticala said...

Una entrada espectacular!! Feliz año!!!

Lisa said...

What a story of your husband arriving in the US!! And nice you got to visit the city he landed in!! Your pictures are fabulous!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Pixel Peeper said...

Memories of places from our past are always interesting memories!

Post a Comment