Thursday, March 15, 2018

Cauliflower-peas curry


Few days back I suddenly found out one of my childhood friend through Facebook. She is now a resident of Germany, and settled there with her family, happily. Though I knew that she is living in Germany, but somehow we were not connected. She is a great artist, and we started chatting about painting, and eventually we landed in our magic kingdom of Childhood. We grew up in the same neighborhood, and we were great playmate. 

 

In the course of conversation, we both remembered one funny incident of doll making with clay in the park. In that doll making group there were my friend, her family maid, me, and few other girls. I forgot about the other girls. Anyway, first we both started with our idea, then her maid came and became the leader of that very doll making journey on that very evening. Whether we could make the doll ultimately or not I forgot that, but I can remember vividly, that I came back home covered with mud from top to bottom, and the consequence was not good. 
Those were the days! Those days were only full of fun without any tension. Every time we used do any mischief, we always faced some consequences, but we never tried to control ourselves.  
Now, we are in the back seat, it's the time for our kids to do those kind of mischief. 
Why I’m writing this funny story, because while cooking a simple cauliflower recipe, I was remembering that very incident. 
So, here comes the recipe.


This simple cauliflower-peas curry I found in an Indian recipe book. I just changed a little bit in the original recipe. It is very good with hot rice. Though, we usually eat with roti. 
Cauliflower florets (4-5)
One cup of shelled peas ( I used frozen)
One medium sized tomato
One very small onion (approximately one fourth cup chopped onion)
One tsp. ginger paste
Half cup yogurt
One inch cinnamon stick
One bay leaves
One tsp. cumin seeds
One tsp coriander seeds
A bunch of fresh coriander leaves
Two-three green chills, depending on how spicy you want to eat
Salt to taste
One tbsp. of oil

 
Cut the cauliflower florets into medium. Cut the tomato into big chunks. Cut the onion. In a small saucepan, add a little water, and boil onion, tomato until onion becomes little translucent. Meanwhile in a mixer make a paste of coriander, and cumin seed with little water. Take out the onion, and tomato pieces, and mix with the cumin and coriander paste, and together again make a fine paste. Heat oil in a pan in medium. Add the florets, and fry until slightly brown, stirring continuously. Take out the florets, and keep aside. In the same oil, add bay leaves, and cinnamon stick. As soon as you smell fine aroma, add ginger paste. Stir a little. Then add the spice paste. Mix well, let cook for three-four minutes, covering the pan. Stir it occasionally, to avoid scorching in the bottom. When the raw smell of the spices stops coming , add the florets, and peas. Add salt. Mix everything well. Cover the pan and let cook. In the meantime, in a bowl take half cup yogurt, and half cup water. Mix it well. Add the yogurt mixture in the curry. Slit the green chills and add in it. Cook until the florets are soft and tender. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.


Serving size: 3

42 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Krishna. I love cauliflower. This sounds really good. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful weekend ahead..Judy

Lisa said...

This sounds delicious!! I love cauliflower!! And how fun to reconnect with an old friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Hello dear Krishna!
A very tasty post. I love cauliflowers but at this time of year they are very, very expensive.
Greetings.

Luana said...

yummi! seems delicious!

xoxo
Guria do Século Passado

JoJo said...

It's great to reconnect with friends who have the same memories that you do from childhood.

Sandi said...

Yum!

Anonymous said...

It is fun to visit/email with an old friend from childhood! Brings back sweet memories of when life was so simple. Thank you for the recipe. We love cauliflower and peas! xo

Stephanie said...

Mmmm... I love cauliflower, but usually I just steam it. I would love to try it this way! Thank you for sharing, dear Krishna.

Hugs to you!

Prims By The Water said...

I laughed about reading your mischief story, and it reminded me of my own mischief days! Janice

Margaret D said...

Rather partial to cauliflower.
How wonderful you found your friend - sometimes technology is the best :)

blooming home and garden said...

I will try this soup, it looks healthy and delicious!

Hugs, Ida

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is great to reconnect with old friends. Nice memory and story. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I love cauliflower. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Krishna,
A perfect and delicious vegetarian meal.
I would use a bit more chilies because I love it spicy!
Hugs,
Mariette

Kathy Leonia said...

love that kind of meal:)

Magic Love Crow said...

That is so nice to find a childhood friend! Thank you for the recipe! Big Hugs!

DIMI said...

Hello Krishna!
Such a lovely and healthy soup!
I love cauliflower!!Enjoy your weekend!
Dimi...

Kathy Leonia said...

have a tasty day:)

Reckless diary by Anya Dryagina said...

Wonderful post, my dear, really great!
Have a nice new week!
www.recklessdiary.ru

Unknown said...

wonderfull post dear, the dish look very delicious, i need to try..

https://clicknorder.pk online shopping in pakistan

Rafaela Biscassi said...

Great recipe:)

www.paginasempreto.blogspot.com.br

Beauty Unearthly said...

Lovely post dear! Have a great week! xx

Julie said...

Thanks for the delicious sounding recipe Krishna. I have been given a cauliflower by my neighbour so I might just give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing it Xx

Angela said...

Winderful post! Have you thought about creating a cookbook? Recipes from your family. Thanks for sharing!

rita said...

Wow delicius
Have a nice day

Elena M said...

Я очень люблю овощи! Спасибо за чудесный и вкусный рецепт! ))

Betsy said...

Looks so delicious. I love curry and cauliflower.

A Casa Madeira said...

Super interessante.
janicce.

shwet said...

It looks very delicious!! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.
My New Post | Instagram | Bloglovin

handmade by amalia said...

How nice that social media reunited you with a friend, Krishna. There is a lot said against social media but it does have its nice moments. The curry looks amazing.
Amalia
xo

Наталья Белогловская said...

Looks so delisious!

Zujalica.ba said...

Nice post :D
Have a nice day, dear!
XOXO

Irreplaceable_fashion said...

I love cauliflowers:) Today I'm going to make a cauliflower soup. Thank you for this recipe:)

Lowcarb team member said...

Looks very nice, I love cauliflower.

All the best Jan

Kathy Leonia said...

maybe a new post?:)

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

this dish looks so good and healthy too. thanks for sharing the recipe to make it. :0)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Krishna, I know I've seen this post already but it looks as good the second time around. Just wanted to thank you for your visit. Kai is doing much better..Happy Weekend..Judy

Nancy Chan said...

I think I will love this curry because I like cauliflowers.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Hello Dear Krishna!

Last octave of Easter.
I want to make wishes: Three wishes for you: Love, joy, prosperity.
May you find the renewal of hope, health, love and the spirit of God.
Greetings from Poland:)
Lucja

Anonymous said...

its wonderful how food is such a strong connection to memories isn't it,, wonderful also to find and old fiend!!!! Sometimes we complain about all the social media platforms abut I know I have reconnected with several friends from Facebook that I would never ever have found on my own! Have a great day! Delicious recipe,, YUMMO!!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Krishna!!!!
I miss you.
Greetings from spring Poland.
Lucja

Terra said...

What fun for you to recall your childhood friend and some mischief like muddy doll making you did together. It is good to reconnect with childhood friends.

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Dear Krishna!

May peace, hope, and love be this season’s present to you personally!
Merry Christmas!!!

Lucja

Post a Comment