Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Poha


It’s very funny. I learned to cook poha, after I went to Mumbai. Poha is popular dish Mumbai people. After going there I found that, the dish is very easy to cook. The basic difference between Maharashtrian poha and Bengali poha is that, Bengalis don’t use turmeric poha. Frankly speaking I don’t know any other differences. However, I think Bengalis use different spices to tamper. I always, use the tampering, I learned during my stay in Mumbai. I use mustard seeds and curry leaves. Anyway, the other day while I was cooking poha, suddenly a funny incident came in my mind. One of the main reasons of posting the recipe is to share that incident. After our marriage, when my husband asked me what I could cook? After my thought I told that I could cook poha. One evening, we were sitting with my in-laws, and all of a sudden my husband declared that I could cook delicious poha. My father-in-law promptly requested me to cook poha for evening snack.
Here I want to tell you, one little thing about him. He is great lover of egg. If you ask him to have eggs only, he will happily agree to do that. He wants eggs everywhere. For breakfast, egg is must for him. He loves eggs in poha also. At that time I was not aware of this very fact. I cooked poha in typical Maharastrian style. When I gave the dish to my father-in-law, his first question was, “Why this is yellow?” And the next question was, “Where is egg in poha?”
Anyway, gone are those days, now I experiment with different dishes, I try to cook same dish with different style. I won’t claim that, every time I succeed to do that, but most time I can. Anyway, here is my recipe of poha. I think this is a mixture of many styles.

Ingredients:
Two cups of thick poha (flattened rice)
Half cup frozen sweet peas (thawed)
Two-Three broccoli florets
One fourth cup unsalted peanuts
One small potato
One small onion
A bunch of coriander leaves (which can yield roughly one cup after chopping)
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
One fourth tsp. mustard seeds
Four-five curry leaves

Method:
Wash two cups of poha thoroughly and mix with salt, keep aside. Cut the potato in small cube. Finely chop the onion. Finely chop the coriander leaves. Cut the broccoli florets into small pieces. Cut the potato into small cubes. Thinly slice the onion. Finely chop the coriander leaves. Heat one tbsp. of oil, in medium heat. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves into the hot oil. When the seeds start crackling, add onion, potato, and broccoli florates into the oil. Cover the wok and let it cook for few minutes. Add the peas, and salt. Stir the vegetables for some time, and let it cook again, covering the wok. Let the vegetable cook until they are tender, stirring occasionally. Let all the vegetables become well-cooked. Add poha into it, and stir continuously to mix well the poha with vegetables. Switch-off the stove , and serve hot with mashala-chai (spiced tea).

No comments:

Post a Comment