Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pear squash fry


The other day reluctantly I was browsing my cooking photographs. I just came across one simple recipe I used to cook. For some unknown reason I stopped cooking that very dish. I learned to pear squash from one of my friends. She also learned that from her friend. When I first came to the USA one day I saw that at vegetable market. Why I didn’t know, I thought that could be cooked like pumpkin-potato curry. I cooked the pear squash using the same recipe, but that taste was so bad, I never dared to buy pear squash after that. Anyway after having squash fry at my friend’s place I cooked that many times. So simple, yet so delicious, that you can finish a plate of rice with this.  

 

Here is the recipe

One-two pear squash

One tbsp. of oil (I used olive oil)

One-fourth tsp. of nigella seeds

Salt to taste

Pinch of turmeric powder

Method:

Thinly slice the pear squash. There is no need to peel or core. Heat oil in a wok, and add nigella seeds. When the seeds start crackling add the sliced squash. Slightly stir and reduce the heat to medium. Don’t cover the wok. Otherwise water will ooze out. You need keep it dry. Stir time to time. When the squash become tender add salt and turmeric. Cook for few minutes, and then switch of the cooking range.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Krishna, your comfort food look delicious and healthy. I do eat this pear squash but stir fry with clear noodles and anchovies.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete