Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pumpkin-mustard curry


I’ve never had pumpkin curry with mustard paste. One day my hubby asked me to cook that. I told that I had no idea about such a dish. Then he told me the recipe. My mother-in-law used to cook pumpkin –mustard curry, but I never had that in my in-law’s home. Anyway, maybe she currently has stopped cooking that. Anyway, few times I cooked pumpkin-mustard curry according to my hubby’s recipe. The taste turned out very good, especially when was taken with roti. Actually I followed the same recipe, with butternut squash. I mainly use butternut squash instead of pumpkin. One day I decided to cook the same to put in his lunch box. However, I had less quantity of the squash in my stock. So, I decided to add French bean in the curry. In the morning I always stay in hurry. After cooking I just packed the curry in the lunch box, without knowing the taste. After lunch hubby dear called from office and told that the curry was very tasty. 

Here I’m sharing the recipe:
One cup finely chopped butter nut squash or pumpkin
One cup finely chopped French bean
One green chili (finely chopped)
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp of sesame seeds
Pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp of oil
For tampering: 1/2 tsp five-spices ( panch phoron)

Method:
Make fine paste of mustard and sesame seeds together. Heat 2 tbsp in a wok. Add panch-phoron in the oil. When the spices start crackle add squash and bean in the oil, and sauté for few minutes. Add salt and turmeric, and fry for few more minutes. Then add the mustard-sesame seed paste into it and sauté again for few minutes. Then add 1 ½ cup of water and bring it to boil. Put it in medium flame until all the vegetables become soft. Then if needed, bring it to boil in high flame to reduce the water. Serve hot with roti. 


6 comments:

  1. Gud one...I had kind of similar exp with Kochur Loti...never cooked or even tasted b4 huby darling landed with the same on a Sunday morn that too when we were in US...the rest....his recollection of the taste to identify the spices in it...n finally calling up my mom-in-law for the final brush up...long process...but at the end it turned out gud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krishna, that's a really delicious curry. It look really good. I think it taste good with pita bread. :)

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very different and interesting..never even tried making pumpkin and beans together..but loved the combo and will surely try soon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy and delicious pumpkin long beans mustard curry.

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/04/2-minutes-eggless-chocolate-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krishna re thanku, Ami maar jonnyo recipe khujchilam, tui diyd dili kaal banabo,aro kichu recipe dish to.

    ReplyDelete