Thursday, April 18, 2013

Onion Soup

When you have a runny nose and you are craving for something hot, and no one there to help you out, you can make onion soup which is very easy to cook yet very enticing. I did the same few days ago. I was suffering from a bad cold, water was coming out from my nose and eyes like a leaking pipe. On the top of that it was very busy day. Since morning we were running errand. I wanted to have some rest in the evening, but I had to go to my son’s school to attend a meeting. After the meeting I was craving for something hot apart from tea or coffee. After coming home I couldn’t find what to cook. Suddenly I remembered about one TV show long back, where I saw the making of onion soup. I heard that onion soup is a French dish. This is soup is very popular in France as it is very easy to cook. On the top of that you need very less ingredients to cook. When there is nothing much in home you can easily cook this one. Even suddenly if some guests appear at your door you can easily treat them with a delicious soup with little effort. 
Something like that happened with me. That day when I came back home I had no time to cut vegetables and cook  a soup so I opted for onion soup. I served the soup with toasted bread. Even the little one also enjoyed a lot. 

The Soup
Ingredients:
One large onion
One tbsp. flour
One and half cup milk (If you want to make less thick, then you can use more milk. I use 2% reduced fat milk. You can use whole milk, which tastes even better than reduced fat milk.)
Salt to taste
One tbsp butter (I used olive oil.)
Black pepper powder
Half cup grated cheese, and some more to sprinkle over the soup(I used cheddar cheese)
Method:
Finely chop the onion. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onion. Fry for few minutes then add salt and fry until the onion becomes translucent. Add the flour and stir until the flour totally blended with onion. Add milk and stir continuously. When the soup starts thicken, stir cheese into it and pour into a bowl. Sprinkle cheese over it, and then sprinkle black pepper powder for from the top.
Bread Toast
2-3 slices of bread
Butter (I used margarine)
Method:
Preheat the oven at 350 degree F. Apply butter over the bread slices and cut them into strips. Bake the strips approximately for fifteen minutes or until the edges become brown.
Serve the soup with toast slices, definitely it is going to be an instant hit






3 comments:

  1. This will be really useful to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like onion soup. Wonder why it is not very popular !

    ReplyDelete