Monday, April 15, 2013

Beet-root curry

The day was too hectic, though we enjoyed a lot. I went to my son’s school to volunteer. The Pre-K was going to library and I went to accompany them along with some other parents. Somewhere around 9:15 in the morning we started walking towards the library. With twenty little kids and 10 mamas it was looking a big procession of small ones. People were looking back with an affectionate smile on their faces. We were walking and walking in baby steps to match with kiddos. Sometimes, I was feeling that the library was too far to reach. After reaching the library they had their morning snacks. All the kids were in a different mood. They knew that their mamas were around there, so, they could do all this of mischief. Every now and then, ‘Please don’t do that and please don’t do that, became a continuous process. I always enjoy the family story time in the library like a child. After the story session, the librarian showed the whole library. My son goes to that library very often, so he knows everything. Then it was lunch time. All of us went to the nearby park. After lunch the children enjoyed a lot in the park. They became too excited to control. When mamas failed to control them, the teacher came to rescue the mamas. Just by the single word ‘Stop’, from teacher’s mouth, all became obedient children. Then the time came to going back to school. Again it was a long walking. We reached school at 12:30. My husband was already there and we came back home around 12:45. It was really a playful day. I was thinking, how easily you can make those little ones happy. You don’t need any expensive games, you don’t need to give them i-pads, but let them play outside, read story to them, and those simple things give them immense pleasure. I felt going back to my childhood, when I used to enjoy the same.
After coming back my real day started. All enjoyment was over. I entered my kitchen in hurry after having lunch. My refrigerator was almost empty. To keep the family away from starving at night I had to cook. So, I opened up my ten hands and started cooking, cleaning, and rest of the household jobs. I did a new thing today that turned out very helpful. Instead of frying the fish I put the pieces in the oven. That turned out as nice as fried fish. Anyway, I cooked 4-5 dishes, so that at least I could skip cooking for few days. Then I made 20 patisapta (Bengali version of stuffed pancake), all for my hubby’s office colleagues!!! When I finished everything, clock was ticking 5:30.
Why I’m writing all those household nitty-gritty?? Actually, among those 4-5 items I cooked beet-root curry. The dish is so simple that anytime you can cook that. Previously I used to buy beet-root very rare, because I didn’t know what to cook with that? One day while talking with my sister, I asked her what to do with beet-root, and she gave me this recipe. This is a not also his recipe. This actually my kajol-didi’s(my cousin sister) recipe, who hails from my native place. I’ll write about her in details later. Now I’m sharing her simple recipe of beet-root.
Ingredients:
Two beet-roots
One medium sized onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
One tbsp. of oil ( I used olive oil)
Pinch of turmeric
Salt to taste

Method:
Finely slice the beet root. Finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Pressure-cook the beet roots with one cup of water. Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion and garlic. Fry until the onion becomes transparent. Add the boiled beet-root into the pan. Cook until the curry becomes dry. Serve hot with roti.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Krishna, interesting curry but it look delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete