Sunday, May 6, 2012

Potoler dorma (Stuffed pointed gourd)

My foodie hubby wanted to have potoler dorma (stuffed pointed gourd) since we reached Kolkata. Before leaving Kolkata I decided to cook the same, because big pointed gourds were not available in the USA. Next problem was I didn’t know how to cook. So, I took the help of the Internet. However, the recipe which I found was a total veggie. My strictly non-vegetarian hubby wouldn’t like that. So, I decide to use fish for stuffing. My mother-in-law told me that aarh maach (river catfish) was good for stuffing. I sent my hubby to the market to buy the same. He happily went to market.  I only knew that for fish stuffing I had to boil then fish. My mother-in-law helped me a lot. She told me to boil the fish with turmeric powder and salt to ward off the smell. My hubby and I had a tough time to peel and grate the inside of the gourds.  It was really time consuming and cumbrous job. Anyway, at the end the curry was delicious. So, my toil didn’t go waste.
The recipe:
Serving size 4
 Potol (Pointed gourd) 7-8
I medium sized potato (optional)
Fish 2 big piece
2 tsp of ginger paste
1 tsp of garlic paste
1 medium sized tomato
1 medium sized onion
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 cardamoms
2 cloves
1 inch cinnamon

Method:
For stuffing:
Boil the fish with little turmeric and salt and put it to cool down. Then smash the fish with 1 tsp of garam  masala, 1 tsp ginger paste,1 tsp garlic paste,1 tsp ginger paste. Set it aside.


Then peel the gourds, and cut the pointed portion from the both sides. With a sharp and thin instrument grate the seeds, and some portion of the mass from inside. I used one thin knife. Put the stuffing in each gourd as much as possible.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok and deep fry the gourds. If you are using potato, cut the potato into cube and deep fry the pieces also. Chop onion and tomato. Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a wok.  Put cardamoms, cloves, and cinnamon. When they start splutter put onion and tomato until onion changes the color. Put ginger and garlic paste and fry until onion and tomato become tender. Put the rest of spices and fry for few minutes. Put the gourds and sauté for 2-3 minutes and put one cup of water. Add pinch of turmeric powder and salt to taste. Bring it into boil. Boil in medium until the water content becomes half.  Dorma is ready. Serve with steamed rice.

3 comments:

  1. wow..looks & sounds delicious...great idea..!
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot jay.. for visiting ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ore na fire akjon khub ranna korche. eta amar most fav,

    ReplyDelete