Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Enchorer kofta curry(Raw jack fruit dumpling curry)


Past few months while I had been staying in India, I used to watch a Bengali culinary show on TV. I can’t tell that each and every episode I watched. I usually watched whenever the people at home let me do that. According to the other, especially my hubby, the show was “boring”. He used to say that it was far, far better to watch a movie, and the best to watch a football game. I’m not all a football fan, although, I used to watch occasionally before. Anyway, one day I was surfing the channels, and at that time raw jackfruit dumpling curry recipe was showing there. I found that very interesting. I kept the remote with me carefully, as I knew anytime my dear hubby could change the channel. I decided to cook that some day. I told me hubby that. After that I became silent. Few days later, my hubby asked me when I’m planning to cook the dish. Anyway, after few days I prepare the curry. It was really delicious. As a very health concerned person I used very little oil. To make the curry tastier one needs to use more oil than me. After coming back to the USA, I want to cook the dish. However, due to dearth of fresh raw jackfruit, I feel lack of interest to do the same.
Ingredients:
Raw jackfruit peeled and cubed (250 gm)
Chhana (cottage cheese) 100 gm
One medium sized potato (cubed) (optional)
Yogurt (100 gm)
Heavy whipped crème (100 gm) (optional)
Flour (1-2 tbsp.)
Cumin powder (2 tsp.)
Coriander powder (2tsp.)
Garam mashala powder ( 2tsp.)
One medium sized onion
One medium sized tomato
Ginger paste (2tbsp.)
Sugar (2-3 tbsp.)
Chili powder (1/2 tsp.)
2 cloves
2 green cardamoms
1 inch cinnamon stick


Salt to taste
Method:
Pressure-cook the raw jackfruit up to three whistles. Set aside to cool down. Then smash jackfruit with cottage cheese. Add one tablespoon cumin powder, coriander powder, and garam mashala powder each into it. Add one table spoon sugar, and a pinch of chili powder. If needed add 1-2 tbsp. flour. Knead thoroughly and make small dumpling.
Heat oil in a heavy bottom wok and deep fry the dumpling and set them aside. If you use potato, deep fry the potato cubes. Cut onion and tomato into thin slices. Heat 2 table spoon of oil in a pan add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, dry red chili, and bay leave. When the spices start crackle then add onion and tomato. Fry for few minutes, then add ginger paste. Fry until onion and tomato become soft. Add rest of the spices and fry until fine aroma starts coming. Whip the yogurt in a bowl and add into it. Fry for another few minutes. Add sufficient water and bring it to boil. Add one tablespoon sugar. When the gravy starts thickening, add the dumplings. Slit one green chili and add into it. Put it out of flame. Serve with hot rice or roti.






3 comments:

  1. darun hoeche. kon show te dekhieche? bangla cookery show gulo dekhai hayna.etao ki hubby'r b'day te baniechile?

    ReplyDelete