Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chili tofu


One day my husband, after coming home from office, told me about a forthcoming pot-luck in his office. He told me to cook a vegetarian dish. To cook a delicious vegetarian item is always a difficult task to me. Anyway, that evening we went to Costco to buy our routine groceries. The idea of preparing tofu clicked on my hubby’s head. I also agreed with him. We bought a big packet of tofu. He told me to cook chili-tofu. Though it was a very time consuming preparation, still I agreed to cook. My effort didn’t go waste, when I heard that everybody in his office had licked their fingers for a long time.
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
One block tofu
One capsicum
One large onion finely chopped
1 tbsp. ginger paste
2 tbsp. garlic paste
2-3 tbsp. whole wheat flour
2-3 tbsp. rice flour (both wheat flour and rice flour may be needed more)
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
2 tbsp. tomato sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce (both the sauce can be used more according to taste)
Method:
Cut the tofu into small a cube. Make a batter of whole wheat flour, rice flour, 1tbsp. of garlic paste, ½ tsp. of black paper, and salt to taste to make a light batter with sufficient water. Dip the cubes into the batter and fry them. Heat 1 tbsp. of oil fry chopped onion, ginger paste, and garlic paste for few minutes until the onion turns golden brown. If the paste becomes dry add little bit of water. Add tomato and soy sauce. Fry for 1-2 minutes. If you like the curry hot, you can put red chili powder. However, as a sweet-tooth I never use chili powder. Cut the capsicum into thin slices length-wise. Add the slices in the pan. Fry for few minutes. Add salt to taste. Add one cup of water and bring it to boil. After few minutes add the tofu cubes. Boil for another few minutes or until the water content become half. Serve hot with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment